Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Skis breaking down

Skis breaking down 7 years, 4 months ago #2596

Anybody else out there ski well on skis when they first buy them, then after several months, it seems that your skiing gets progressively worse? This has happened twice to us. Doesn't feel like the ski has lost it's stiffness, it's really too stiff to begin with.

Re: Skis breaking down 7 years, 4 months ago #2597

Completely normal. Called the honeymoon period. It's not the ski. Soooo many people go through it.
Shane Hill

Re: Skis breaking down 7 years, 4 months ago #2599

• BudDavis
  • Today is a gift, so ski. No promise of more.
My feeling is that sometimes a change in settings or a different ski can bump you out of a rut, similar to a record getting stuck and playing the same tune within the revolution of the record. If you bump the player the needle moves and progresses through the song. The problem though, when the record plays again, it gets stuck in the same old place. You have to fix the problem. The problem is usually the skier and the new ski or new setting is often just a bump. We seem to morph the different equipment back to our old style.

99.5% of the time I am on the water, I am working some technique. 0.4% I am doing some type of experiment or test. And 0.1% or less (probably much less) I actually try to add to my buoy count.

Re: Skis breaking down 7 years, 4 months ago #2602

skimech wrote:
Anybody else out there ski well on skis when they first buy them, then after several months, it seems that your skiing gets progressively worse? This has happened twice to us. Doesn't feel like the ski has lost it's stiffness, it's really too stiff to begin with.

Hey skimech,...what kind of ski was it?

Hey, Bud I remember that you had said one time that there is no way to measure Torsional Flex?

I feel that skimech could be correct in his assumption.

Re: Skis breaking down 7 years, 4 months ago #2607

• BudDavis
  • Today is a gift, so ski. No promise of more.
Robert,

I do agree that the possibility exist that a ski can break down longitudinally and/or torsionally. I did post plans to build your own inexpensive flex tester. It only tests skis longitudinally, but I would like to add the ability to incorporate the ability to test torsionally as well. I could imagine it would need something like a torque wrench. I was hoping to see one so that I would not have to” reinvent the wheel.” But, as of now I have not seen one.

Does anyone out there have some pictures?

The plans for the flex tester can be found in the left menu under “Helpful Tips”.

Re: Skis breaking down 7 years, 4 months ago #2636

The first ski was an HO A2, the second was the S2. In all fairness, the same skier did not run into this problem with the Goode 9500. With the Goode 9500, she was always making progress towards skiing better. She eventually outgrew the Goode and I have put her on two different HO's in the past two summers. HO's work for alot of skiers, just not her. HO's are really stiff skis so it would take alot for them to break down, I guess. Could be they are breaking down torsionally. I am now looking to put her back on a Goode or possibly the new Strada.

Re: Skis breaking down 7 years, 4 months ago #2637

Enjoyed the videos on the flex machine, I did not know they were there. I would build one but there are no companies that are going to adjust rockers, flexes and so forth, unless you are an Open division skier or sponsored by them. However, I have some old skis that I would like to know the flexes to. I have toyed with maybe building some skis, as I have some experience with Jobe when Jeff Jobe still owned it. I will start another thread about the new Jobe skis.

Re: Skis breaking down 7 years, 4 months ago #2648

skimech wrote:
HO's are really stiff skis so it would take alot for them to break down, I guess. Could be they are breaking down torsionally. I am now looking to put her back on a Goode or possibly the new Strada.

I think your right on with the HO's being too stiff!

I think that a softer ski or a ski that is designed for 34mph is the way to go, especially for a girl/woman. Sure goodes break down easier but they tend to be softer and softer skis tend to...

-slows better
-turns better
-more forgiving
-accelerate almost as well.

Radar needs to come out with a 55k ski again. I feel the strada is even a bit too stiff. I understand that Radar is making changes this year to make the strada a bit softer. We will see!

Why are over 90% of big dawg skiers on Goodes?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.42 seconds
Free business joomla templates